Tuesday, August 4, 2009

T-Storms & Lightning

So a major storm moved in today. I was anxious to cross more things off of the "to-do" list, but that's ok. It's been a wonderful morning. Baby Patito woke before his brothers and sisters did so we had some quiet play time, just the two of us -rare, very rare. Then I remembered, I shouldn't let Neto boy sleep in...1st grade begins next Monday and we've been trying to get back to a school day routine. We even spend several hours a day doing practice work.

I sat going through my baby pictures this morning. I love to do this and can't believe I've been here in Indy for just over two weeks and have just barely pulled them out. While rummaging through, I also came across Great-Grandpa's World War II memoirs. I remember trying to read them when I was 12 or so, but had a hard time getting into it. I read through a few pages and have decided I'm ready to finally follow his diary entries. The compilation definately needs to be turned into a book or perhaps a screenplay even...I know Mom has often thought of doing something with it. If she doesn't get the chance, perhaps we will. It is very well written with lots of details.

As the storm progressed, I gave up on the idea of running out to get more paint and the other supplies I needed for completing a handful of projects. We'll see how the weather is later this afternoon. In the meantime, I have no excuse to not catch up on some writing. LOL.

Esteban decided to prepare some enchiladas and also fry the fish he caught this weekend while we were down at the lake. Scrumptious! It was only half way through cooking brunch -and several hours into the storm- that he thought to ask me if I had closed up the windows to our bedroom next door. AGH!!!

I popped up and ran from Mom's house to ours. Got soaking wet, couldn't believe it. I made a joke last week about the amount of rain we get here. I wondered if people from the midwest laugh the first time they experience rain in California. I love it though. Several days of sunshine & then some rain. Keeps it beautifully green here all through out the summer season. In San Jose, everything that's not watered turns brown by mid-May or so.

It could have been worse. I arrived to our master and suite and found mostly the sills puddled with water. Luckily, for the most part it collected there and didn't seep down the wall and onto the carpet. I dried up what I could once both windows were secured shut. I had left them open last night after I finished painting to air the room out. I decided to do this fancy granite-textured paint on the wall which smells worse than just regular paint. I snatched a look at our other neighbor's yard. Easily, it was flooded with about an inch and a half of rain. Poor drainage I'm guessing. Ours was much better though the rear corner nearest hers was collecting water. Not sure if do to the slope of the yard at that point or just because her yard was so saturated and it was pushing into ours. We'll keep an eye on it.

Note to self - always close windows when there are T-storms & lightning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a 30-something year old mother of three. My eldest is about to complete his first year of school...Kindergarten! I thought that was going to be the most difficult challenge this year. I was wrong. I am also mom to Two in Diapers (hence the name of this blog). Balancing life is a struggle, and most often, I have had to put many of my passions on hold. My husband is an angel, and if it weren't for him (he being who he is), I don't know how I would survive. Little by little, I am trying to put everything back in order. The last 24 months have been very rocky. It started with my baby sister being diagnosed with cancer, shortly followed by my father's death. Over the months, we have been slammed time after time by devastating news, but we are surviving as a family. I hope you will join me as I try to piece the story together, both past and present.